Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Naming of Things

Today I just wanted to say why my blog is named, "Cut Out All the Ropes and Let Me Fall".

First things first. Skinnny Love, Bon Iver. That is the song from which my blogging title is derived. Enjoy it. Feel it. That song is one of the good ones that you can feel inside your bones.

Well. Once upon a time, I went to a little country called Costa Rica. My high school youth group took a trip there to share our Jesus. We met some kids in a slum called La Carpio and we took them on a trip to a camp in the mountains and had a week of overnight camp there. My youth group was dedicated to loving in deed and in truth, according to 1 John 3:18.

1 John 3:17-18 (English Standard Version)
17But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? 18Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.


This is why I miss my youth group a lot. It was so scriptural. 


So, as per 1 John, we loved in deed and truth. Not only did we share with them the Gospel (truth) we gave them backpacks full of new clothes and toothpaste and such (deed). And 17 of those beautiful little kiddies were saved to a new hope in Christ Jesus our Lord.


So, yes, we were in Costa Rica. And I did a lot of learning there. The thing that stood out the most to me was learning to trust. I learned so much about trusting God in Costa. Although I am so imperfect and fail everyday to rely fully on Christ, I am trying and I am growing in my trust.


One of the biggest ways God speaks to me is through music, although not usually through Christian music. I kind of hate Christian music actually. But that is another topic for another day.


But in Costa this song kept coming into my head, especially the line that says, "cut out all the ropes and let me fall." To me, that is about trust. Not relying on your own ropes, whatever it is that you put your trust in, money, your face, boys, whatever, just cutting out the ropes and falling into God's ridiculous love. It's beautiful to me.


So, now in my life, I want to trust entirely in my Jesus. So that's why this blog is named that. Trust.


On the cover of my notebook that I write all of my thoughts and my words and my Jesus times in is taped a note from my friend Meg. It says, "Dear Becky, Rest in Sovereignty." That's where I'm at. Resting, Trusting in the marvelous sovereignty of my glorious and holy God. He's got the whole world in His hands, right?


Psalm 91:2 (English Standard Version)

2I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
   my God, in whom I trust."

P.S. This blog is named after a song by a wonderful boy named Andrew Bird. To learn more about this, click Archipelago. Also try "Heretics" and "Why?".

No comments:

Post a Comment